The Arts Education in Maryland Schools Alliance is pleased to provide the MARYLAND SCHOOL OF EXCELLENCE IN ARTS EDUCATION AWARD (MSEAEA). The MSEAEA is designed to recognize and honor individual public schools for their excellent arts education programs and for providing a creative learning environment for outstanding student achievement. The awards program provides an opportunity to illustrate students’ and schools’ success stories, to celebrate America’s rich and diverse cultures, and to garner local, state, and national media coverage for award winners.
This Award program is presented to individual public schools that have arts education programs that include the following characteristics:
- The school should teach all the arts (music, visual arts, dance, and theatre) as specific disciplines as well as integrate the arts into other subject areas, demonstrating that arts education is an essential component of the school’s curriculum.
- The program should use creative approaches to learning, provide imaginative and creative learning environments for teaching the arts, and recognize that the arts are critical and essential to education.
- The school should provide opportunities for parental involvement in the educational lives of their children through hands-on, creative, arts-based activities.
- The school should provide students various opportunities for learning about other cultures through the arts.
- The arts program should provide community connections that build value and respect for the community by offering students diverse experiences beyond the classroom. (Students leave the school to attend artistic events in the community, and community artists and artistic venues also provide programs at the school.)
Recipients of the MSEAEA will be chosen by the Arts Education in Maryland Schools Alliance (AEMS) Awards Committee. Selected schools will be honored and will have the opportunity to showcase their school’s arts program during the 2012 AEMS Alliance Cultural Arts for Education Conference.