The International Artist/Teacher Exchange (IATE) provides an opportunity for Maryland educators to obtain George Mason University graduate credit through professional development in arts integration that focuses on the arts and culture of Italy. Participants join a cohort of teachers, administrators, and educators from Collegio San Carlo in Milan for this cross-cultural and cross-curricular experience. After touring Italy, experiencing its arts and culture, and working with Italian artists, participants develop lesson plans to be used in their classroom.
IATE Program Goals:
- Increase participants’ understanding and appreciation of the arts and culture of Italy;
- Immerse participants experientially in the creative process with maestro artists using a variety of tools, materials, and processes;
- Link the expressive modes of the arts with student achievement in other core disciplines;
- Enhance competence in teaching “through the arts” and teaching “about the arts;”
- Deepen understanding of research-based best practices for integrating the arts across the curriculum.
Download a copy of the 2012 IATE program brochure and registration form.